World Environment Day
World Environment Day is June 5th, mark it down! It’s a day to collectively acknowledge and be educated on the environmental problems we currently face, and to celebrate the areas in which progress has been made. Having a day dedicated to the environment is a way to highlight important ideas, and to hopefully build lasting momentum. It’s super important, it’s scary, it’s exciting. To mark the occasion, nudeMarket is giving you the promo code ENVIRODAY2019 for 10% off any online orders that you make on June 5th.
The theme for this year’s World Environment Day is air pollution. The importance of having clean air to breathe is a concept that some Albertans are probably finding more tangible than ever. We in Calgary are avoiding breathing the smoke-saturated air outside, staying inside with the windows and doors shut. The fires in the north of the province continue to burn as you read this. It's not very often that we have to think about clean air, or have the consequences of climate change right in our faces, so much so that it plays a factor whether or not I want to let my kids play outside. Normally Calgary does have a little smog, as cities tend to have, but it’s nothing like the smoke. It’s kind of crazy we are experiencing what many, many people worldwide experience daily - places like Delhi and Beijing. Breathable air shouldn’t be a luxury for some. We all share an atmosphere, and borders may decide how people travel but borders can’t do much about air.
Without a doubt, our systems as a global society need to transform, and they need to do so quickly. While we all keep trying to get that ball rolling, there are adjustments we can make in our daily lives to reduce air-polluting habits. So what causes air pollution? Forest fires - their destruction growing fiercer each year as our climate heats up - is just one of the contributors to air pollution. The methods used in energy industries, the way we power and heat our homes, how we travel, our diets, how we deal with waste - they all influence the chemical makeup of our air.
- Instead of driving solo and burning gas (and money!), opt for public transit, cycling, walking or carpooling.
- If it's possible for you, trade in your car for a hybrid or electric vehicle.
- Next time you need a taxi, request the service of electric taxis.
- Turn off the engine of your car when it's stationary.
- Reduce or eliminate the meat and dairy products in your diet. The way livestock is fed causes methane to be emitted into the atmosphere.
- If you do choose to buy animal products, support farmers that optimize food digestibility and better grazing and grassland management. Do you know of a good source? Leave it in the comments!
- Start a food garden in your yard or on your balcony
- When shopping, figure out where all your local ingredients are at!
- Compost organic food items (why not use it to nourish your garden!)
- Instead of relying on recycling systems, buy as what you can in bulk using refillable containers. Drop by the nudeRefillery and get started :)
- Never ever, ever burn trash.
- In the fall, if you want to remove fallen leaves from your yard, remember they are incredibly nutrient-rich. Instead of throwing out or burning them, if you mulch them they make excellent compost for your garden.
- Choose high-efficiency home heating systems and equipment.
- Switch off lights and electronics when you're not using them.
- When doing home renovations, choose products like paint and furnishings that are non-toxic.